Thursday, April 22, 2010

Spring Warblers on South Mountain Day 2

Today was really my last day to look for PA warblers before I head to Virginia tomorrow morning.  We found 8 black and white warblers along the ridge, in addition to a blue-headed vireo (pics soon).  At the end of our birding route, we did hear a new warbler, which sounded most like a yellow-throated warbler.  He was too high up in a leafy tree to get a visual on, so he's not counted on our year lists yet.  However, he is included on our e-bird report for the morning.  The most numerous bird was again chipping sparrow, followed by eastern towhee.  In a large field, we had two spring gobblers showing off, but jumped high up in a tree when they spotted us.

Other highlights were two black swallowtails and a yellow swallowtail, in addition to a Horace's duskywing (which I saw three more of on campus today).  The soccer field where I found 10 species of butterflies was mowed today, and I only found a Horace's duskywing and a black swallowtail in the mudd puddle in the corner of the field.  We will try again later in the day to find more new warblers after Alex's class.

No comments:

Post a Comment