This past summer, our Long-billed Curlew study area had at least one nesting pair of Ferruginous Hawks, and others were attracted by the abundant supply of ground squirrels. While roaming the rolling hills, it was a common occurrence to be circled by a hunting Ferruginous Hawk, especially on days when you thought it was a good idea to leave the camera in the truck. We found this nest on one of our first days of work in April; clearly it has been used for many years! When we went back to check on it in June, the nest had 2 fluffy babies on it with mom nearby, while dad was defending their territory from an over abundance of Swainson's Hawks.
Ferruginous Hawk (female) at nest with 2 chicks;
note rufous shoulders and dark back of adult
Ferruginous Hawk - adult male
Note red leggings and rufous underwing markings,
in addition to wide "gape"
Ferruginous Hawk - adult male
In the agricultural fields between Boise and the Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area, we found this nest in April. By June, two large fledglings were literally jumping all over the nest, stretching their wings, and getting ready to jump.
Ferruginous Hawks - 2 fledglings and adult
Adult (left) Juvenile (right)
Note red "leggings" of adult (not seen on juvenile),
appearing as dark "V" when viewed from below
Adult (left) Juvenile (right)
Juvenile lacks red "leggings" and has a lightly banded tail.
Juvenile appears very pale/white at a distance, as it lacks most rufous markings on
underwings and shoulders as seen in adult. Wide "gape" visible on both.
Distinct "shape" of Ferruginous Hawk when flapping is visible at quite a distance
Ferruginous Hawk - juvenile
The photos of the perched bird below were taken in June at the Snake River Birds of Prey Area.
A nest was visible in the distance on transmission line towers.
Ferruginous Hawk - adult
Ferruginous Hawk - adult
Note large "gape"
Ferruginous Hawk - adult
Note rufous shoulders and dark back creating a "two-toned" appearance
This post is a part of WORLD BIRD WEDNESDAY!!!
Also, can't get enough raptors? Check out Jerry Jourdan's post about his "Hawkfest 2011" where he witnessed an absolutely huge flight of Broad-winged Hawks!
Beautiful photographs of an amazing hawk. You guys were just fantastic for promoting the great Idaho birding. I don't think most people know how good it can be, but you guys proved it with your photography and blogging efforts while you were there.
ReplyDeleteWow, these hawks are absolutely beautiful1 I have seen them before but your photos really bring out the detail and the beauty! They are so white! I would LOVE to visit the Snake River Birds of Prey Area! I need to take a trip out west. I just love Idaho.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Idaho has excellent birding opportunities and many people don't realize it. Kind of like Nebraska....both such beautiful places and great places to go to photograph raptors!
ReplyDeleteYou should for sure plan a visit to the Snake River area! The views out over the Snake River are amazing and the raptors are unbelievable. If you time it right, you can see not only a ton of raptors but a huge variety of species. It is a beautiful place which makes photographs come out great!
A beautiful bird to see.
ReplyDeletea really good post. Its a lovely Hawk with lovely unasumming markings and a really prestine white breast. The variations in plumage are very subtle too.
ReplyDeleteThat nest is a triumph also, incredible
Gorgeous shots of the Ferruginous Hawk Anna! I love this large buteo and fortunately I am able to see them in Shasta County during the winter months. I would love to see them in their breeding territory though! The last three photos show their beauty close up. I especially like the stare shot. They truly are regal.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a gorgeous bird. Great sighting and the nest is huge. Awesome photos!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photography and interesting read!
ReplyDeleteAnna, I need that lens. After using yours for the weekend I am convinced that I need one. Anyways, the ferrug shots are absolutely amazing!
ReplyDeleteI think I have a new favorite hawk. That would be the juvenile Ferruginous Hawk. How freaking gorgeous! You just sold a ticket to Nebraska Anna. Thank you for sharing this superbly illustrated and enthralling post. I am blown away!
ReplyDeleteI warned you Tim. I borrowed a 400mm from a friend last year and I knew I had to have one. There is no way around it!
ReplyDeleteSpringman...if you go to Nebraska, let me know. There are some excellent wildlife refuges there with great opportunities to see Ferruginous, Swainson's, and Rough-legged Hawks...of ALL color types.
Yea juv. Ferruginous is a great bird. And the adults are so colorful. Thanks for all the great comments and thanks for reading!
Wow! Excellent photos! Thanks for sharing. Studying these will sure help me recognize one when I get in their range someday.
ReplyDeleteWow, terrific photos! Thanks for sharing. These are really going to help me recognize the Ferruginous when I get into their range again someday.
ReplyDeleteWhoa! Amazing captures of this beautiful hawk!!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds and really great in-flight photos.
ReplyDeleteGreat captures!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
ReplyDelete