Next we headed to a township north of Morgan City, LA, in Pigeon Bayou. This area is part of the Achafalaya flood basin, and I really can't believe people live here, or anywhere in LA for that matter. People literally have built houses over swamps and bayous, and some of them just live in boats. The weather is great though, and after spending some time in these small communities, one begins to understand the appeal to living here. I can't help but hear the words of my college geology professor in my head, "Don't build your house in the floodplain!" over and over again...
We didn't see any snipe in the bayou, but did see a variety of other birds. I picked up common yellowthroat, house wren, barred owl, and laughing gull, all in the Pigeon Bayou area. This American pipit just roamed closer and closer to the truck, and before I knew it, he was right next to it.
American pipit
There were also many red-shouldered hawks in the swamps.This barred owl was sitting on a fence post, and flushed when a car drove by. He was not at all disturbed by our presence, and barely opened one eye to watch us. Notice his very worn feathers.
barred owl, Pigeon Bayou, LA
roseate spoonbill
anhinga
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
so is the owl injured (eye) - or do they only open one eye sometimes?
ReplyDeletechris
His eye is actually fine...I've seen barred owls and also saw-whet owls do this in the day time, and Alex has seen screech owls do it. I think they are just sensitive to the light, and only open up their eyes enough to see what is happening. And I guess that just opening one eye does the trick!
ReplyDelete