Friday, February 19, 2010

WISN Surveys near Simmesport, LA (Contd.)

Yesterday we continued our surveys near Simmesport.  Nonexistant roads caused a bit of a time delay, but eventually we got the township done.  I only found one snipe here.  I did however get my first sharp-shinned hawk of the year, hunting in a corn field.  I saw another later in the day as well.


sharp-shinned hawk

A big problem in this region (and almost everywhere else I travel) is stray and homeless dogs.  We saw this puppy in a culvert three times, and make a point to stop to give him some cookies I had dropped on the ground.  Someone else seems to be feeding him, which is good, but I feel bad for him.  He was very scared and also mean because of it, but he seemed a little happier with a cookie.  I hope he finds a home, but sadly I don't think he will.

homeless puppy

In our second township, I did spot this one snipe sleeping in a pasture.  He barely opened an eye at our presence, even though he was just 25 meters off the road.


Throughout the day, we saw many flocks of ibis, like this flock.  We didn't spend time looking at them, but I am sure there were both glossy and white-faced, the latter of which I haven't yet seen this year.

ibis in flight

No comments:

Post a Comment